Tuesday, May 8, 2012

An Open Letter to Family and Friends


In just over three weeks, I will begin teaching a sermon series from Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount, found in Matthew’s gospel account, chapters 5-7. Among the teachings of Jesus, the Sermon on the Mount is perhaps the most beloved, the best known, the least understood, and the hardest to obey. 
The lofty ethic found in this text has inspired many who do not embrace Christianity. Jewish, Islamic, and Hindu readers have expressed admiration for Jesus  because of his teaching in this sermon. Yet, it is unfortunate that these non-believers have missed what is central to the Sermon on the Mount--the Preacher, Jesus, himself. But what I find even more disturbing is that many who would wave the banner of  Christianity proclaim this passage with a similar, faulty grip on it’s mast. Some might, in fact, teach these words of Jesus in such a way that a Muslim, a Hindu, or even an atheist could remain in the audience and feel encouraged or even challenged to be “better” Muslims, Hindus etc. However, that is not Christian preaching and that is not my aim. 
And yet, I know my heart. There are many idolatrous notions that I battle by the Spirit’s power and perhaps the greatest is legalism--a Pharisaical approach to righteousness. There exists a tendency within me (and perhaps you as well) to simply work harder, try harder and act better. If I am not careful this heart-condition will affect my preaching. But this simply will not do. Jesus will say in this very text “Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” (Matt. 5:20) 
To that end, I must preach a “greater righteousness” one that does not abolish the law, but exalts the One who has come to fulfill it (Matt 5:17-19) and to do that I require your prayer.
 I hope that you are already praying consistently for your pastors as they proclaim the Word of God, but I ask for personal, special prayer for the coming weeks. I would ask you to pray for me. Right now. At this very moment. Please pray. Pray that my preparation over the coming weeks would be fruitful, that I would persistently surrender my life, my desires, my ambitions, and my pride to His authority. Pray that my heart would be changed by His word and He would give me understanding of the text so that I might proclaim it in a clear and compelling manner. Pray that I would not compel people  to follow more rules, but to fall more in love with our Ruler. Pray that I would apply it’s truth to my family as I try to lead in a way that lovingly sacrifices just as Christ loves His Church. Pray that God would protect my heart and my family from evil. Both from temptations that come from the evil one and from dangers out in the world.
I would also ask that you pray for our church. Yes, that means please pause your reading of this letter and speak a prayer for our church. Our prayers help create in us a sense of expectancy for the ministry of God’s word. Please pray at least weekly for the ministry of the Word to be effective in the life of Boulevard. Pray that God would use His Word, as He is faithful to do, to edify His Body in a special way through this discourse on discipleship. Pray that we would both corporately and individually, as a body of believers, come to experience and reflect a kingdom of Christ-centered righteousness. 
To aid you in this prayer, I want to encourage you to partner with me in memorizing the Sermon on the Mount in its entirety. This seems to be an arduous task, but I hope you will find this fulfilling. Spiritual disciplines are exactly that--things which require discipline. And discipline is good, as far as it goes. It doesn’t offer credit or merit before God, but I believe that memorizing chapters 5, 6, and 7 of Matthew would better prepare  our hearts to be shaped by the truth it proclaims.
My tentative plan is to divide the text into 13 sections for preaching, divided the following ways:
5:1-10
5:10-16
5:17-20
5:21-26
5:27-32
5:33-37
5:38-48
6:1-6; 16-18
6:7-15
6:19-23
6:24-34
7:1-12
7:13-29
I would encourage you to use these divisions or come up with some of you own. Whatever you do, make a plan and try to stick to it. I would love to know if you are going to make this effort so I might pray for you in this process and we can encourage one another along the way. 
Even if you’re unable to memorize the whole thing or even parts of it, I encourage you to read it in it’s entirety each week of the series. Allow its words to marinate in your soul but remember to focus on Jesus and the righteousness he has provided for you.
Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment